Saturday, March 21, 2015

Johor Bahru - Top 5 things to eat in JB

JB, I think everyone frequent there every other weekend. The whole place is always packed with Singaporeans who are looking for cheap weekend getaway or simply just eating and shopping. The exchange rate is so good! SGD1 = MYR2.68! So, why not? There's H&M and Uniqlo at City Square and now they even have Sephora, Victoria Secret, 3CE cosmetics and Jelly Bunny across the border @ JBCC! Here's some of my recommendations on what to eat. I used to eat the famous KSL's Bak Ku Teh but I found a lot more places to eat there!

1) Ya Wang Herbal Roast Duck
 Address: No. 28, Jalan Segget, Johor Bahru 80000, Malaysia
 
First up, it is the famous Braised Duck Store located near JB's city square. It's about a 5 mins walk from City Square. All you have to do is find the MacDonald @ their level 1, walk out, turn left, walk to the end where you see a junction then turn right. You'll find the famous duck rice that most Singaporean goes to. It is said that they are the advisors for "店小二 - Dian Xiao Er" in Singapore and the first outlet is in Marina Square. Their Dang Gui (herbal) Duck is the best. I think it taste even better than the one in Dian Xiao Er. The duck has this crispy skin yet it is not diluted with the braised sauce. They sauce is charged separately at MYR5 if you find that it is not enough. Besides that, their Signature Toufu is a must try. I always spend about MYR45 for 2 pax inclusive of their duck, toufu, char siew, drinks etc. Affordable and fulfilling.

Herbal Duck Rice
Left to Right: Char Siew, Signature Toufu
.
.
.
2) Ah Piaw Restoran
 Address: Jalan Keris, Taman Sri Tebrau, 81100 Johor Bahru


The abalone restaurant that Singaporean cross the border to eat at night. They operate 24hrs and have a huge outdoor sitting. I always thought that you need to drive in order to reach this eatery. However, I've learnt to walk from KSL. It is not a short walk. Probably about 15 mins if you are familiar. If not, i will suggest that you take a cab instead. They are more popular for their Wanton Noodles. But i prefer the Bao Yu Mian (鲍鱼面). The soup base is fresh and clear. There's always a caravan of Lok Lok nearby for you to fully satisfy your cravings.
Yummy caravans of Lok Lok near the Ah Piaw.
.
.
.
3) Soon Soon Heng Bak Ku Teh
Address: 236, Jalan Sutera, Taman Sentosa, 80150, Johor Bahru, Johor


This is directly opposite KSL. The Bak Ku Teh that i never failed to frequent whenever i go JB in the past. Their soup base is absolute sweetness and I really love it. I no longer like those pepper type once I've tried this. Herbal Bak Ku Teh is not so commonly seen in Singapore though. Really love the huge portion and I get to chose what kind of ingredients I want inside the soup. Besides that, they also have Soy Sauce Chicken (麻油鸡) which is another must-try. I always get to skip dinner after having these. Cause it is so filling!


4) Taman Sri Tebrau Hawker Centre (大马小贩中心)
Address: Jalan Keris, Taman Sri Tebrau 80050 Johor Bharu, Malaysia

Butter Crayfish at Taman Sentosa! It is within walking distance from KSL. Or you can chose to take a cab. Which will cost about MYR8-10? The butter crayfish is a must have! The place is like a typical zi char store. But their crayfish is very juicy and yummy. Somehow you just can't find such crayfish in Singapore. And the price is very reasonable. Think it is only MYR30 for 2 pax? Try it and you will definitely love it.
.
.
.
.5) Azuma Japanese Restaurant
Address: Komtar JBCC level 2
For the Japanese restaurant, this is just a personal favourite. I mean honestly, you see a lot of Japanese restaurant in Singapore but a meal for 2 pax always amount to about SGD80. But for this new restaurant located at JBCC, for 2 pax, I only spent about MYR90 and I get to eat a sashimi tempura bento, sashimi etc. I really like it! And the price is so affordable for Japanese food that I don't think twice when ordering the expensive sashimi. Try it, if you are craving for Japanese food in JB. Of cause there's also Sakae Sushi in City Square too.
.
.
.
One of my favourite activity to do there is massage!
I usually do my massage at Thai Odyssey. They are famous for their traditional massage. 1 full body massage is about MYR103 (including taxes) and it is really affordable. Their service is very good and their therapist is from Thailand. It almost feels like you are having your massage in BKK! But they are always fully booked, so what I suggest is going there to make an appointment first, then go for your shopping, eating and watching movie before coming back for the massage again. This way, you will not missed their slot!
.
.
.
I went back a few times to JB so that I can complete this post! And I'm glad I did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment